Friday, August 31, 2007

G-Star is wallpapering the (gay) world

I first noticed the label about 18 months ago at the Rolo store on Market Street in San Francisco. The word raw caught my eye. Hating shopping as much as I do, it wasn't until a month ago that I bought a pair of Original Navigator Campaign Shorts -- molto pricey at around $120. My only regret now: that I didn't buy a bunch more. They're just the right length. Plus, they've got about a trillion pockets, most with snaps: Perfect for foiling pickpockets in tourist havens. Now, of course, Rolo doesn't have any more, and I can't find them anywhere else. That includes in Europe, where the label was the uniform of the moment among gay boys. (Forgot about G-Star's website, screen cap, top; it's hell to navigate.)

Based in Amsterdam, G-Star was founded in 1989. It's now in a growth spurt. Earlier this year, it planned about 60 more stores worldwide on top of what were 73 shops at the time. G-Star now has nine U.S. stores in eight cities -- including San Francisco, where it's at 76 Geary St., near Grant.

No comments: