Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Top oil company CEO resigns after being outed

BP CEO John Browne (left) is one of the world's most-senior gay executives. Or was. Browne quit today after a British court removed an injunction barring a newspaper chain from publishing stories about his personal life and sexual orientation. Tattling on Browne: his ex-boyfriend, Canadian Jeff Chevalier. Browne didn't dispute his being gay. But he expressed disappointment over getting outed. "In my 41 years with BP I have kept my private life separate from my business life," he said in a BP statement. "I have always regarded my sexuality as a personal matter, to be kept private. It is a matter of deep disappointment that a newspaper group has now decided that allegations about my personal life should be made public." Browne, a friend of Prime Minister Tony Blair, has always closely guarded his private life, despite holding one of the highest-profile positions in business.

No comments: